Firearms Licenses

Law enforcement agencies in the State of Washington act as agents for Department of Licensing and issue concealed pistol permits to eligible residents and to eligible non-residents who are hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting Washington.

Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, be free of any felony convictions (including juvenile convictions) and clear of certain domestic violence convictions*, and be of sound mental health.

Applicants must apply in person at their local police department or sheriff's office, or if living in an unincorporated area, the local sheriff's office. Non-Washington state residents may apply at any police or sheriff's office in the state.

You may apply at Ferndale Police Department any time during regular business hours (Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 4 PM.) When making an initial application, your non-refundable fee will be collected and you will be scheduled to return for fingerprinting. A background check will be performed and once you are determined to be eligible, you will receive your permit within 30 days. If you have not been a resident for the previous 90 days, or if you do not have valid Washington state identification, we have up to 60 days in which to issue the license.

Those renewing a CPL may do so during regular business hours and will usually receive their new license within a week.

Pick up the application form at Ferndale Police Department, or download a copy here. (Requires Adobe Reader or other PDF reader.)

Alien Firearms License

In July of 2009 the Alien Firearms License Law changed. It is now legal for a non-citizen who is a lawful permanent resident in the State of Washington, or for a non-resident who is legally here visiting for hunting or to participate in trade shows or shooting events, to possess or carry a firearm without having to first obtain an Alien Firearms License. Aliens who are here temporarily, such as students or people with temporary work visas, will have to acquire the Alien Firearms License before being allowed to possess or carry firearms.  These licenses must be acquired from the Sheriff's Office.

For more information, visit the Department of Licensing Firearms Section website.


If you are in any doubt as to your eligibility to possess firearms, we encourage you to seek legal counsel prior to submitting an application for a concealed pistol license. Application fees are not refundable.


* Any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another: assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment in the second degree, criminal trespass in the first degree, violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence.